In the 15th and 16th Century, the world was a large, and generally undiscovered, area. This was the era that explorers would take their ships in different directions and try to find new areas. During this period explorers such as Christopher Columbus, Francis Drake and Juan Ponce de Leon explored new areas of the world. Ponce de Leon was a Spanish explorer that discovered Florida, and was also Governor of Puerto Rico.
· Biography: information on the life and years as an explorer
· De Leon Bio: biographical information on the life of Ponce de Leon
· Bio: brief overview of the life of the famous explorer
· Explorer: information on his years as explorer
· Explorations: review of de Leon’s exploring
Ponce de Leon had heard stories of a water source that would make people young again. The legend said that the magical waters that the Fountain of Youth possessed would make people look and feel young again. This legend peaked de Leon’s curiosity and he set out to find this mystical place. While he searched for the fountain, he never did discover its existence. However, he discovered Florida instead, and became the first European to land in Florida.
· De Leon Discoveries: information on the explorer and his important discoveries
· De Leon: biographical information on de Leon and his discoveries
· Fountain of Youth: information on the Fountain of Youth Park
· Fountain of Youth Legend: information on the legend surrounding the Fountain of Youth
· Fragrances: information about exotic fragrances
· Florida Explorer: resource on Florida’s first Spanish Explorer
· Florida Discovery: information on Ponce de Leon’s discovery of St Augustine Florida
Ponce de Leon’s final expedition was a search in 1521 for Bimini. He and 200 men landed on the west coast of Florida. Unfortunately they were met by Native American Indians, who injured many of the men with arrows, including de Leon. A short time later Ponce de Leon died in Havana, Cuba, from this wound (in July, 1521). He is buried in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
· De Leon’s Map: map of the 1513 voyage of Ponce de Leon
· De Leon in Puerto Rico: resource on the discoverer and his time in Puerto Rico
· Death of de Leon: information on how Juan Ponce de Leon was killed
· De Leon’s Life & Death: detailed account of the explorations and final demise of Ponce de Leon